November 07, 2006

crockpot soup & leftovers


It's been cold and rainy. We've also had some really strong wind today, which means there won't be many leaves on the trees for much longer. While I have been working constantly, I have felt motivated to do nothing except sit on the couch or cook. When the weather gets like this, I get in a mood to cook.

I started my first batch of soup in a crockpot for this autumn/winter season. It made me think of my sister, Laura. I also needed to use up several bits and pieces of vegetables that would otherwise go bad. That made me think of my mom. She's so good at throwing tons of leftovers together and making something good from it (that is...unless it's a spaghetti and beets casserole!!! YUCK! Glad I wasn't born yet for that NASTY combo! That definitely goes down as a VERY BIG MISTAKE in my mother's otherwise impeccable cooking career). I burned the first batch of beans, though, which ticked me off. I'm glad they were really cheap.

I hope it's cold again tomorrow because it's my day off and I can really just sit on the couch if I want and eat my soup. I think I'll take the turkey pie my mom made out of the freezer and eat that too.

No comments: