November 02, 2006

the quiet in the rush


This morning, we had personal renewal time.
One of the Northstar interns led four of us guys to a river.
To our backs was a beautiful waterfall.
Around us were trees, fallen leaves, large rocks, moss.
There were also streams which fed into the river.
And in the rush of the river, there was a quiet.
I felt like I was introduced to time with God once again.
Prayer, songs, scripture, confession, meditation,
Questions, dipping my hands in water and
Painting the rocks with my wet hands.

But I can’t always go to the river.
God said to me, “Where is the quiet in the rush of your life?”
Ouch. That was the question I was afraid of.
God, give me courage and discipline.
Thanks for lavishing me with your presence.

(By the way, two cool nature moments “happened”. The first was I told the Lord I felt far from him and ached for his touch. At that moment, the cloud cover broke for the first time and I felt the warmth of the sun. Secondly, I was singing three songs: “Breath of Heaven”, “Breathe on Me, Breath of God” and “Breathe In Me”. At that moment, a delicious cool breeze washed over me. Again, thank you, God, for lavishing me with your presence.)

1 comment:

Judith said...

Thanks for sharing some of the conference. I wish I could have gone with you guys. Can't wait for the full report.
See you soon!