February 08, 2007

yo-ku benimaru addiction

Okay, for all of you not schooled in Japan's grocery stores, Yo-ku Benimaru happens to be my favorite. There are lots of other superstores even more "American", but what can I say? I am a loyal customer through and through. It doesn't mean I don't step foot into another grocery store (I do shop elsewhere), but I am one of those people who goes to the same grocery store because I know EXACTLY where everything is, I know EXACTLY what I can and can't get, and I recognize several of the workers and even some of the other customers.

And that's really what this post is about - not an addiction to the store but to another customer. I've seen this lady several times. At first, I found her rather annoying (in Japan, we say she was "meiwaku") because her large voice could be heard practically anywhere by anyone...and we just don't do that in Japan. (By the way, I am laughing hysterically as I write this entry. I was telling Ben about her and he said I needed to blog it.)

Everything about her is BIG. She has a big body, a big face and big head, a big voice, and big opinions to go along with a big personality. She is as a-typical Japanese as I have yet to find. She talks NON-stop to every worker about anything and everything that enters her mind, and they politely smile and nod and keep working...and sometimes walk away from her. She does her shopping in no organized manner, either, but seemingly walks around the store several times. I admit to knowing this because now, every time I see her, I follow her to watch and listen. The woman I first found annoying has really grown on me, and I'm now addicted by intrigue caused by this lady. At first, I thought maybe there was something wrong with her. But upon several observations, I've decided nope...she's just LOUD AND DIFFERENT.

Okay, so maybe you think I'm wierd for following this lady around, but I promise you, if you "experienced" her, you would want to do the same.

...I wonder if she notices me following her?

No comments: