March 10, 2007

goodbye to bjorn the bear


When he first joined our time of worship, Ben and I were in Hachinohe. Needless to say, my image based on Crimsen's comments about Bjorn didn't AT ALL match what I saw when I picked him up from the church to eat dinner with us. Over the past year, we've definitely had some interesting times with "Bjorn the Bear" hanging around (he informed us that his name means 'bear' in Swedish).

Tonight we took him to eat Jingiskan (grilled lamb meat and vegetables) and to watch him play volleyball for the last time. His parents will arrive from Sweden while we're in Cambodia, and they'll leave before we return. I'm really going to miss him when he goes. He told me tonight that, of all the people he met in Japan, he will not forget Crimsen because she was such a bright person of hope with such a clear love for people.

Bjorn has a real gift for being able to talk to anyone, and his faith so naturally flows through whatever he shares. He is tender hearted, has a zany sense of humor (that no one understands!), he really loves people and wants to serve God with his entire being. Bjorn joined us for Christmas this year, and also attended the BTS concert in Saitama with us. He's called me many times to let me know he's praying for me and my work. He asks for God's blessing in our travels. He always has a word of appreciation when I lead worship, and encourages me. At a recent Valentine's Party, he told me I'm so talented he thinks I'll be on CBS someday! He's first to volunteer his help, and he's not a complainer. You can count on Bjorn to show up at whatever people gathering is planned. God has really blessed our little community of His family with Bjorn's presence.

I ask God to flourish Bjorn's faith and to lead him in this next step of his life. Bjorn shared with me that he desires to return to Japan someday if the Lord will open a way. I'm joining Bjorn in petitioning God to open that way, and would ask you to join us in that prayer.

No comments: