February 21, 2007

thoughts about the week


There is an unspeakable richness and depth shared in community.

I remember as a university student, Scott Lambert referred to my "era" as the "Friends Generation". Reflected in pop culture sitcoms, my peers have been identified for valuing and living in "tribes". Perhaps that is one reason I have found greater joy in my work the last week or so. Over this year, I have been transitioning from a binding schedule that is program-based and driven by measurable accomplishment, and moving towards a life and ministry that seeks to experience community and contribute to the people in that community.

The last two Wednesdays, several have gathered for lunch. Last week, Akira and Mitsuyo baked bread, and made soup and salad. Thirteen of us gathered - a mix of ages, both Christian and non-Christian. Today, Mitsuyo made spring rolls, mabodofu, suiton & wonton soup, pasta salad and fruit salad. I also brought birthday cake for Mawatari-sensei and Keiko's birthdays. There were fifteen of us around the table today, and again such a variety of people. One of the best parts is that I haven't planned it, cooked for it or cleaned up afterwards. For once, I can be an active participant. This is renewing and refreshing after feeling like I've been stewing in a crockpot of stress for several weeks.

We've also done nabe (meal in a large soup pot), jingis khan (grilled vegetables and lamb), hayashi (similar to curry), and have gone out for a simple cup of coffee. It's the end of the school year in Japan, so everyone is now taking advantage of any excuse to gather for this meal, and for that event, and we've even made up reasons to be able to share life, food and conversation together.

When I reflect on "Communion" - both Lord's Supper and our relationship with the Spirit of God - this is my idea of a similar experience to what Jesus himself experienced. More than a ceremonial silence and a few minutes devoted to prayer while nibbling on bland matzo and sipping Welch's grape juice, it is a time for the family to gather around the table to share life and faith.

This is what I desire for the communities of faith (churches) in Japan. I believe it is this intimate time with our Creator and with each other that seekers taste and begin to crave. God is good, so let's eat and drink deeply of Him and His word. And let's lavishly share it with those around us.

What a richness that is shared in community!

No comments: