May 06, 2008

sepet

Talked with my parents and brother today. It was good to hear their voices. I hadn't talked to any of them since I arrived in Singapore, so it was nice to share a lot about life and experiences here.

Pak Fook has been introducing me to several research materials, journals and books for both personal growth and for future ministry in Asia. He also has introduced me to many quality movies (like, "I Not Stupid") that give insights into culture. One of my recent favourites is "Sepet" (which apparently means Chinese Eyes) by Yasmin Ahmad which explores a lot about race and culture through a love story between a Chinese man and Malay woman in Malaysia.

Today, Pak Fook showed me a commercial by Yasmin Ahmad that I simply HAVE to share. It won an award, but it also wins an award from me. It goes along the same lines as Sepet, and the children's expressions (especially Hong Ming) are wonderful. There are two others, "He, She" and "Race" that don't grab my heart in the same way, but they're still good. I'm including the dialogue following the video in case you can't understand what the kids are saying. I hope you enjoy it, and maybe I'll have a chance to comment more deeply about my thoughts/feelings at a later date.



Hong Ming: Her name is Ummi. Ummi Qazrina. I like her.
Yasmin: Why do you like her?
Hong Ming: She wears earrings, she will tie her ponytail, um...she’s pretty...
Yasmin: What do you wish to say to her?
Hong Ming: Do you wanna come on a date? Um…to a romantic dinner.
Yasmin: And, em, does she know you like her?
Hong Ming: No, I keep it a secret.
Yasmin: Why?
Hong Ming: I don’t want the whole world to know!
Yasmin: Why not?
Hong Ming: Because everybody will laugh at me.
Yasmin: Why should they laugh at you?
Hong Ming: Ha?
Yasmin: Why should they laugh at you?
Hong Ming: She doesn’t like me.
Yasmin: She doesn’t like you?
Hong Ming: (Shakes his head "no")

Ummi: My name is Ummi Qazrina.
Yasmin: Who’s your best friend?
Ummi: Tan Hong Ming.
Yasmin: Tan Hong Ming?
Ummi: (Nods)
Yasmin: Do you like him?
Ummi: (Silence)
Yasmin: Do you have a boyfriend?
Ummi: (Nods yes)
Yasmin: Who’s your boyfriend?
Ummi: Tan Hong Ming.

No comments: