May 05, 2008

happy birthday, dad


My dad turns 68 today. I know 68 isn't really old - as I get older, I'm convinced our concept of "young" and "old" is based upon our perspective - but it also doesn't seem entirely real that Dad is sixty-eight years old.

At the core, Dad and I are such different people even though obvious fingerprints of him are within me. For example, Dad values privacy and independence when I'd rather be "in the thick" of the people and the activity/action. But just as I have never questioned my father's commitment to God or to my Mom, I have felt secure that Dad desired and actively cultivated a good, strong relationship with me. My father places high premium on loyalty and trust. He speaks praise of my mother to me. He listens to me and encourages me, and reinforces his belief in me and my abilities.

When I think about my high school years and beyond, Dad could be found sitting in the quiet of the living room, pouring over Scripture and sharing an insight he'd learned if I stuck around long enough. I have been in the car when he's done many unseen, unspoken acts of kindness in providing for others. He was quick to encourage and support any opportunities where I might grow and receive different exposure. As I get older I appreciate many sacrifices made for me to take advantage of Christian education, travelling, mission and ministry experiences, music pursuits and the list goes on.

As I celebrate my father's life today, this is but a glimpse of what I appreciate about the man I call "Dad" and to whom I seek to bring honour. I am grateful that God has blessed me and I just want to say thank you and happy birthday to you, Dad.

1 comment:

The Lj's said...

I met your dad at WMW and enjoyed talking to him... he definitely one who blesses you by just his presence. You have one awesome dad, Joel!