May 05, 2008

ohisashiburi

That's what we say in Japanese when we see someone we haven't met for quite a while. Yoshinori breezed out of Singapore tonight as quickly as he breezed into the country last night. It was TOTALLY unexpected for me (two days before his departure, he sent an email to my hotmail account, which I hardly check). As I watched him clear immigration and walk towards his gate, I realized how much I needed to see him, and what a blessing that it was for me.

I'm sad that we didn't have time for deeper conversation, but both less than 24 hours and so many friends to see prevented it from happening. But I felt gratitude to be with him, and I told him I wished for more time. The last 30-40 minutes at tcc (one of my favourite places in Singapore!) we were blessed with protected conversation in Japanese. Isn't it funny how some people can pick up where we left off as if no time had passed since the last time we saw each other? "Poshipori" is one of those people for me. I was reminded that our decision to set aside programs and focus, rather, on specific relationships was one of the best shifts God brought to our attention, and then gifted us with the courage to follow through in making the shift. Thank you, God.

Another blessing today was having the opportunity to witness and be thankful for my friends here in Singapore. I am definitely becoming attached and it will be hard to leave. I marveled as I sensed and experienced God's presence at the SOYMILK cell - his work amongst the group as a whole, but also how I can see God shaping the faith journeys of some of the older, leader-types. It is a unique opportunity for me to be on the sidelines and actively listen/watch for His refinement of these people. I was touched by the warmth of the Bedok church family again today in worship, in fellowship and in the acceptance and affirmation I have received. And most of all, the testimony of God's activity was clearly shown in the hearts of those who sought to greet, host and pour time/love into my dear friend from Japan.

No comments: